Monday, November 4, 2013

Gratitude: Day Four

Today I am thankful for allergies.  Say what?    We have a LOT of food allergies at our house (thanks Chris).  It sucks and I hate it, but I have learned to live with it and have come up with some great allergy free recipes!  One of the only things that gets me through the days when I am frustrated is that it could be worse.  I have some friends that I grew up with whose son is battling cancer for the second time in his short 13 years of age.  My heart just aches for them and I say to myself......you can deal with the stupid allergies.   Just be thankful that you have healthy active kids (even if I have to read every label in the grocery store).  I am also thankful for all of our supportive friends and that they are so accommodating to our boys.  I know it is a pain and I appreciate it!

So today when I took Makai and Jameson to get their flu shots at the allergist.  I had to keep reminding myself to be thankful.  All through the 2 hour appointment.  Through the 30 skin pricks on their backs.  All through the 30 minutes after the injection to make sure the egg cultured in the flu shot didn't react with their bodies.  And through the news from the doctor that Makai has now developed a severe allergy to tree nuts like his dad and that chances are slim that he will outgrow that allergy.

Gratefulness and thankfulness get you through.  Otherwise you become resentful and bitter.

So thank you Lord for allergies.  And thank you even more for Benedryl, Epi Pens, modern medicine and little boys who have great attitudes and hardly complained today!




No comments:

Post a Comment