Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pinterest Challenge: Day 17

It is HOT, HOT, HOT today.  So, last night I planned ahead (imagine that!).

I have had my eye on this pin for quite some time.
Keep them busy for hours! A block of ice with treasure frozen inside and a hammer.  Great for those 100+ degree summers!

You take a bunch of little toys and freeze them and then the kids have fun "excavating" them.  So last night I was thinking that I should have bought some little toys at the dollar store to put inside the ice.  And then I wanted to beat myself.  I am constantly throwing away little dollar store toys.  I HATE THEM!  And I almost went out and bought more.  Yikes.

After my personal smack-down I totally redeemed myself!  What do my kids love more than anything else?  LEGOS!!!!  So I spent an hour (or more) with the kids and we separated out a bunch of legos (of course they didn't know what I was doing with them-they just thought we were cleaning out the bin-which we also did).  We found all sorts of "lost" legos and found about a million Lego guys.  They are so fun with all of their accessories!  After the kids went to bed I grabbed some legos and put them in bins.  I also had the brilliant idea that they would have to make a Lego creation after excavating all of the pieces from their icy tomb.

The kids got these bins a few years ago.  Of course I could only find 2 of the 3.


Added Random Legos but tried to find big pieces to help make "ships".
I let them freeze overnight in the freezer downstairs.  When I went to pull them out this afternoon (at 2:00 pm), they weren't quite frozen all of the way through.  Not sure why.  But, the kids still had a great time breaking them apart.  It was a nice way to cool off.  They LOVED it!










All 3 of them squatted almost the entire time.  How do they do that?

Cool action shot if you look closely!




After the excavation was complete, we had to lay the Legos out in the sun to dry before the creations were made.

These are the finished projects!  Nice work.  They had so much fun looking through all of the Legos and making them fit.  They are always so creative when the build things.




This was a great (and FREE) way to spend the afternoon on a HOT day.

You can find this pin on my "Summa Time" board.  Stay cool everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment