Friday, September 27, 2013

Caught Up!

Those are two words I didn't think I would ever utter.  Especially heading into my busiest season.  But it is true.  I am caught up (on editing at least, not in real life mind you).  I have edited all of the pictures that I have taken (except a few from second shooting a wedding, but those don't count).  I even did my own pictures (and the retakes)!   I even input my expenses from the last 4 months.  I am feeling good.  It helps that I have been subbing the last 2 days and that while the lovely students at D'Evelyn have been furiously working, I have been working hard too!  I love having a laptop and being able to bring my photography work to my teaching work.  Win-win!

And now for the reveal.  Every year my sister and I (okay mostly me, I have to drag her kicking and screaming because like most normal people she feels like photo shoots are a form of ancient Chinese torture) take all 6 kids and try to get some pictures of them for my mom for Mother's day.  It always hits at the busiest time of year (okay let's be honest....every time of year is the busiest when you have kids) and we always have to scramble to get it done.

This year I had grand illusions of using a neighbors fun old  truck for the picture.  So on Mother's day, we ventured out to try to get pictures.  6 kids, 4 parents, 2 grandparents and neighbor and an old orange truck.  Too many people.  It was rough.  The kids did NOT want to be there and one of mine was sick.  But we pushed through.  *note.  As a photographer, taking pictures of your own kids is the HARDEST thing you will ever do.  They get surly and bored and give lots of fake smiles.  ARGGGHHHHH!

When I got home and looked at the pictures, I was upset.  My camera was having issues with back focusing and it was super sunny and I was shooting into the sun......yada yada yada.  All combined to make for a not happy photographer.  Hence the reason why no one has seen these pictures.

So......we have been trying to schedule a redo.  Not easy when sister (see above note) really didn't want to do it again.  But pushy little sister got her way and when we were up at the cabin for Labor Day weekend, we drug the kids out and tried again.  This time was a little bit better.  The weather was sketchy and we had to wait out the rain and then jump out of the car, take as many pictures as possible and then run back to the car.  So, I took pictures for about 10 minutes (and a different kid was sick this time) and it was pretty chilly outside.  Then the skies opened and it poured!  End of pictures.  But, at least I got a few that I was somewhat happy with.  Again, hardest job ever!

So here are the highlights of our "Nana" shoot.  4 months in the making.

Take One:

Take 2 (It was a little dark and dreary so most of them looked better in black and white...which I happen to love).

Here's to being caught up for at least one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment