Monday, September 9, 2013

Big Sisters

When you are growing up...big sisters can be a pain.  They boss you around.  They scare you.  They threaten to kill themselves by sticking their finger in a light socket if they don't get their way.....oh wait, maybe that was just my sister.  She sure knew how to manipulate me and she was always better at everything!

Then you move into high school and they take you under their wings and show you the ropes.  You sing fun songs together and play the electronic keyboard on the dashboard together.  You stay up late sleeping in the same bed and on Christmas eve you whisper and play games late into the night.

They go to college and you miss them like crazy and start to resent the boy who is stealing her time from you.

Then you stand up at their wedding and fall in love with one of the groomsmen....oops, maybe just me again.

Then you become moms and they are the first phone call you make when you are wondering what is wrong with your kid, or how get them to stuff fussing.

Then you grow even deeper.  You are there for each other at the deepest levels.  You finish each other sentences and laugh (or cry) over late night text messages.  Your run over to their house late at night when their husband is out of town and they think they heard a strange noise.  You come over to their house and borrow a can of beans without asking and forget to replace it.  You manipulate them into making you warm chocolate chip cookies (the padawan has become the Jedi master).

I don't know what I would do without her and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love ya big sis.  Happy Birthday!



Ruth 1:16-17 But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment