Friday, September 1, 2017

Emma- Denver Birth Photographer

I tell you what...the more I do birth photography, the more I fall in love with it.  



It is such a privilege to be invited into such an intimate place.  And the rewards are ten-fold.




Who doesn't want this moment captured?



I got the text to let me know little Emma was on her way at about 1 in the morning.  I had a hard time going back to sleep and since this was Amanda's second baby I wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything.  So I got ready and hopped in the car and headed to the hospital.  She progressed slower than expected and so I spent the night working and catching up on the early morning news.  This is how everyone was feeling.


If you have ever had a baby...you know how amazing the popsicle tastes!


Waiting, waiting, waiting.






Finally the doctor came and broke her water and 30 minutes later, it was time for Emma's debut.  Of course, the doctor came in the ONE time I wasn't in the room.  I was moving my car from the ER overnight entrance to the main entrance.  And there wasn't a single spot in the lot.  I had been there for 9 hours and I almost missed the birth because I was moving my stupid car.  Isn't that how it always goes?



Once it came time to push, it only took 2-3 contractions and about 8 minutes before little Emma was born.



First breath.



What a moment.



These two were in love with their baby girl from the moment she took her first breath.



Sometimes based on where I am standing it can be really tough to get the dad cutting the cord.  But this time I had a great view!  And the dads can tell you that the cord is really thick and it is really hard to cut!

 
 
I have loved watching the dads from the last few births I have done.  These dads are ALL in and I love it.  They are smitten and it is so fun to watch.



Look at the sweet relief on her face.


 

Often in Colorado babies are whisked away a few minutes after birth to make sure they are breathing well and sometimes to get them some oxygen.  The dad follows the baby while mom finishes delivering the placenta and gets all cleaned up.  



Often the nurses will do footprints and measurements at this time while the baby is only a few minutes old.



 
Then when the baby is finally returned to mama for some skin to skin it really starts to sink in and the emotions come to the surface.  I love capturing their expressions and love.



 These shots are my favorite and most often when everyone is most emotional.  The time when all three of them are together for the first time.  




Amanda's mom and sister were in the room as well.  It was a full house, but a house full of love too.  They are lucky to have such a wonderful support system.



I was able to stay long enough for Ethan to come and meet his baby sister.  I love when the siblings first meet.  It is so cute!!



A wise nurse told me some great advise when our second baby was born.  And it worked so well for us that I have passed that knowledge on.  Make sure that mom isn't holding the newborn when the sibling comes in.  That way mom (and dad) can give their full attention to the older child.  It can often be overwhelming and strange to see mom in a hospital bed so if they can get that reassurance that everything is okay it helps a lot.  Then after they get some love and hugs, bring the baby over to meet the sibling.  It works really well!



Ethan loved kissing his baby sister.




Congratulations Yaw family!  Thanks for letting me be a part of your special day.




Stay tuned for Emma's newborn photos coming soon!



For more photos follow me on Instagram, Facebook or visit www.photolilo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment