Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Blackberry Oatmeal Muffins

I love baked goods.  There.  I said it. 

I love to bake them almost as much as I love to eat them.  I cringe now to think about how I only used to use boxed muffin mix.  I didn't know any better.  Now that I have kids with tons of allergies, it has forced me to do more baking from scratch.  And you know what?  I have come up with some pretty amazing recipes!  I can't even remember the last time I bought an overpriced, full of processed crap muffin mix.

It doesn't take that much longer to make muffins from scratch.  You should try it.  They are so much better (and better for you-sort of).

I bought some blackberries the other day with the intentions of making my hubby his favorite Blackberry Sour Cream pie.  However, we are both trying to eat healthier so I didn't make it.  Now I have a ton of blackberries that I have been trying to use up.  I don't really love blackberries (I buy them mostly for the hubby who is the Blackberry King) so I needed to find a way to hide them in something.  I have also been craving some muffins...so today I made up a new recipe. 

I did some hunting on Pinterest and I couldn't find a recipe that fit the needs of my high maintenance allergy family.  So I adapted this recipe that I have used in the past that we LOVE.  And Voila!  I came up with this.  They are delicious!


Here you go:

1 1/4 c. Oats
1 1/4 c. milk (I use rice milk, but you can use any kind)
1/2 applesauce (I use this in place of 1 egg)
1/2 c. oil
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/4 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder (and a dash of baking soda)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Blackberries (about a pint)

Topping Recipe- (Combine these 3 ingredients)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. oats
1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine oats and milk and let stand for 10 minutes or so.  Stir in the rest of the wet ingredients.  Combine the dry ingredients and add to the liquid mixture.

Put batter into muffin tins.  Put 3 blackberries on top of the batter.  Add a bit of topping to each muffin.

Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.  Enjoy!  These muffins are moist and delicious with just a hint of sweetness.   Only 120 calories per muffin!

No comments:

Post a Comment