Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Happy Half Birthday!

I wanted to do something special today.  Makai's birthday is on July 31st.  Because his birthday is in the summer, he never gets to bring treats to school.  Couple this with the fact that he is allergic to eggs also means that when other people have birthday treats, he usually doesn't get to partake.  I feel bad for him.  So today I thought I would surprise him with something special!

So last night I baked up some chocolate chip muffins (his favorite) which happen to be egg free and dairy free (for poor little Jameson).  I contacted his teacher and let her know my idea.  She thought it would be fun if I brought it in at the beginning of the day and then the kids could have them for snack time.  I wanted it to be a surprise, so I dropped the kids off as usual and then drove around and parked the car and took them in.

Boy was he surprised.  He didn't really know what to do with himself.  It was as if two strange worlds were colliding and he didn't know how to react.  He just sort of sat there.  I said "It is your half birthday so I brought you some treats!"  His reply.  "Oh".  Not much excitement.  Oh well.  I am sure he was excited on the inside right?   I hope it will be one of those memories that he holds dear and knows that his mom loves him and wanted to do something special for him.  We all need memories like that.  I used to love when my mom would do something special for me.  I remember her making my favorite foods when I was having a rough day.  There is nothing like the taste of homemade mashed potatoes and gravy to make you feel better (or even mashed potatoes from KFC).  Thanks mom for the special little things that you did that added up to making me feel special (and for the countless times you had to eat mashed potatoes and stove top stuffing and chocolate cake, however I don't think that one was as much of a sacrifice).  I hope I am carrying on that tradition.

So Makai, Happy Half Birthday.  I love you!

Did I mention that I added chocolate frosting to the muffin?

In case you are wondering how to make these most excellent muffins, here is the recipe.  I used to use the box kind, but with all of our allergies I had to find a recipe that everyone in our family could eat.  Here is what I came up with.  I combined a few recipes and tweaked them.  They are SO good.  You would never be able to tell that these are dairy free and egg free.  Makai even said that all of his friends LOVED them and wondered how I kept the chocolate chips so big inside.  I guess he thought it was pretty cool after all.  He told me that the kids said I should bring them again sometime.  Perhaps for his 3/4 birthday?  Ah, no.  You really should try these.  They don't take that much more time than the boxed kind and they are WAY better!  I dare you!  Try them and let me know what you think.

Lisa Lord's Special Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins
1 1/4 cup oats
1 1/4 cup milk (I use rice milk)
1 egg ( I use one individual applesauce cup)
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup chocolate chips (I use Giradelli's semi-sweet because they don't have milk in them)
1 1/4 cup flour
4 tsp. baking powder (yes you read that correctly.  It seems like a lot, but it works)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine oats and milk and let stand while you get the other ingredients together and put muffin papers in the pan.  Stir the egg (or applesauce), oil, brown sugar and chocolate chips into the milk mixture.  Combine the dry ingredients and add to mixture  (or if you are lazy like me, just dump everything in together and stir).  Put into muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (or until brown on top and cooked through).


Enjoy!

Hope you like this Lord family staple!

No comments:

Post a Comment