Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Thankful Heart is a Happy Heart

Happy Thanksgiving!  I am currently sitting by the fire looking out the window at the Alpine glow.  It is just about sunset on a beautiful Thanksgiving day.  We are at the family cabin in Fairplay.  It is one of my favorite places to be, so I am very thankful today.  The only thing missing is the other half of my family.  We are celebrating this year with the Lords, so I am missing the Coombs-Luebcke side of the family today.

Kids made centerpieces!

This is how we roll on Thanksgiving morning.  Matching pi's and matching mimosas.


This week has been a good one.  We came up to the cabin on Sunday afternoon because the kids have the whole week off this year.  I must say, the beginning of the week wasn't that great for me.  I came down with a yucky bug on Saturday and it took until Wednesday to feel back to semi-normal.  Let's just say that the bathroom and I became good friends and I am thankful for soft toilet paper.  Is that too much information?

Yesterday, however, was one of those days that will stay with you forever.  It was darn near a perfect day. We (Mimi, Jameson, Ashlynn-with her broken wrist, and the non-skiing Lisa) took the pass over to Breckenridge to have lunch with the skiers.  It was a beautiful day.  Can you believe that I have never been up the gondola up to the base?  I can't either!   We had a fun ride on the Lolola (gondola-JJ style) and then waited at the base for them to come down.  It warmed my heart to see my boys (two little ones and one big one) come down the hill with HUGE smiles on their faces.  They love to ski!

The Lolola ride.  See the look of uncertainty?

We chatted, ate, drank (Shock top on tap, yes please!), and generally had a wonderful time.  Did I mention that we were eating outside without coats on?



I loved every minute of being on the mountain without having to ski.  I have never been a skier.  I tried it and was terrible at it.  I hated every minute of it (except the hot chocolate at lunch and the nap on the way home).  I don't like to be cold and I hated falling (which I spent most of my time doing).  Call me a wimp.  I would prefer to sit in the lodge drinking hot chocolate and reading a good book.  Everyone keeps asking me if I want to take it up again and I say....no thank you.  I don't want to spend WAY too much money on something that I don't really like to do (plus, to be honest, I don't have the patience to sit in the parking lot with the kids for an hour while they get their gear on and listen to all of the whining that I am sure happens during the ski day).  I much prefer to kiss everyone goodbye, have a quiet house for the day, do some crafting, make some delicious dinner, kiss a tired group hello, eat a nice dinner and put everyone to bed nice and early.

This is how I roll on the ski slopes.  No extremely difficult to walk in boots for me!

After lunch, the skiers went up the lift again so that the camera lady could get some more action shots of them coming down the hill.  Thanks skiers for the photo ops!

The spray is the goal of every young skier

Loving every minute!

The Lord skiers.  To be added:  JJ at the end of this season.



Then the non-skiers headed over to the roller coaster (kind of like an alpine slide but with rails instead of a concrete track).  Yep, you read that right.  Breckenridge has a roller coaster and It. Is. Awesome.  I HAD to ride with JJ.  Someone had to.  I know, it was a hardship.  It was amazing. I enjoyed the ride up almost as much as the ride down.  Let's just say that the brake was never engaged and Jameson screamed most of the way down.  It was ridiculously expensive, but fun for the people who don't spend a ridiculous amount of money on ski passes every year.



Then we took the Lolola back down the hill (which scared Jameson more than the FAST roller coaster ride) and did a little shopping in town.  I love the shops in Breckenridge.  They are way over priced, but always give me good ideas for fun hand made things that I can make for half (or more) of the price!

Then we headed back over the pass to our little cabin in the woods where we had homemade chicken pot pie.  Sounds like a great day hu?   It was!

I hope your time with your family has been equally satisfying!  And remember what the veggie tales song says: "because a thankful heart is a happy heart".

No comments:

Post a Comment